Forums » General Forum

Tip: why not bookmark this page, or set it as your homepage?

The Sporting Shooter forum is a great place to chat to other shooters, ask advice, or sound off about the latest issues. To join in the debate, you will need to be logged in. If you've already registered, log in using the panel above. If you haven't registered, do it now. It's free and only takes a minute. Register here »

Please remember, this is a public site. No flaming, swearing or otherwise unacceptable behaviour!

Editor's note: With the best will in the world, our massive editorial team of 2 1/2 people do not have the time to monitor these forums closely. If you have something to say to us, or see something on a forum that you feel should be moderated, please contact me by email on editor@sportingshooter.co.uk or call 01189 897212.

AuthorMessage
Ian
Ian

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:05am

Post Subject: .17HMR & the fox

I see the debate about the .17 HMR and foxing as brought about an opinion of a shooter in the letters section of the magazine.the only 2 things that i agree with is the fact that, 1/ if you where to select an all round rifle for foxing you would ultimately go for a centre fire,having said that there is also a debate about which centre fire is the best for foxing ,personaly i think it's the .22-250but thats another discusion altogether. right back to the letter, To say that a round travelling at over 2500fps doesn't deliver the kinetic power to dispatch a fox is nonsense it carries far more than the .22lr he origonaly started shooting foxes with as stated by him in the letter. The accuracey of the .17 HMR out to 100yds and beyond allows me to head shoot rabbits at this distance so the ballistic tip bullets don't spoil the meat that myself and ferrets enjoy eating. what i'm getting at is if i can head shoot rabbits out to 100yds a fox up to this distance is not a problem and th an head shot fox with a .177HMR drops like a sack of spudsand doesn't even hear the shot coming, 2/ the other point I'd like to make about the article is he says foxes should be culled humanely and deserve to have there lives terminated quickly, I agree totaly with this also but a bad workman always blames his tools, ultimately it's the shooter that pulls the triger after deciding that his/her tool (rifle) can do the job to the standard they that is needed to dispatch a fox cleanly and quickly and therefore the ability lies with the shooter not the rifle, and to right any weapon off for the sake of being elitist is wrong as there is times and places where these rifles would be acceptable to shoot foxes where centre fire rifles wouldn't. A the debate about which center fire rifle carries on to ,but same thewre again personal choice and ability will lead us to our desired rifle. good luck all .Ian.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:55pm

Hi Ian. I agree with you. I have long been a big fan of the .17HMR and sing its praises regularly. I also possess a .22lr rim fire rifle, .22 over limit air rifle and a .223 ctr fire rifle and if (God forbid) we were ever forced to rationalize our armory to just one rifle, the .17HMR is the one I would keep. Over the last 6 or 7 years I have dispatched literally dozens of fox with the .17HMR every time with clinical accuracy, I have never had to search for an injured animal. Most of my fox shooting is done at night with lamp. I find the limiting factor is range â not the range of the rifle but the light, I simply will not take a shot until I am 100% sure it is a fox. My lamp outfit allows me to illuminate satisfactorily out to 130 yards max, I can pick eyes out at 400 yards and I can be pretty sure by the animals actions and behavior if it is or is not a fox, but if I canât call it to within 100 â 120 yards and identify it 100% I will not shoot â So it maters not whether I am carrying the .223 or the .17HMR as both are totally adequate to humanely dispatch a fox at this range. In short, the .17HMR is perfectly adequate for fox shooting in the hands of an experienced shot. Good Hunting Neil

.17HMR & the fox
Chris22
Chris22

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:35pm

Well lads, Just went to my local gunsmiths today to take a look at some 17HMRs. From wat i see from dis site and mags etc. A hmr seens to be the gun for me. And guna be trading in my 22lr for one and was thinking off keeping the scope for the new gun. Would it be good enuf for a hmr?? As its a great scope for my 22lr. Its a hawke endurance 4-12x50. Also was told my MOD wod fit to. Is dis right or do i need all new gear? My 22 and scope etc is only 4months old. And cnt realy afford all new gear at the min. Thanks

.17HMR & the fox
verminater
verminater

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:06pm

well said Ian spot on it a matter of the tool being in the right hands in within reason rim-fires will do the job but a center-fire will at longer ranges ATB and i don't think you can get a rim-fire granted for fox control

Ian
Ian

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:12am

hi verminator, due to the location of several of my shooting permisions and the damage from fox on there i had the firearms officer look at this,and he added as a restriction the .17HMR for fox onto my license after the fire arms department of the police checked out the mussel velocity and kinetic energy values of this round . so I have a rim fire for fox as well as ground shot vermin. All the best ,Ian.

boyten
boyten

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:04pm

well said ian,the 17 hmr is more than capable of doing the job because it all boils down to shot placement.i prefer a shot to the boiler room.ALL i have shot like this have dropped to the shot with the 17.took the best vixen ive ever culled last tues.she was not far from cubbing,but called her from about half a mile to 40 yards away.watching her come all the way from that distance got my heart pumping like when i first started.

rowey64
rowey64

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:26am

The 17HMR is a capable round no question in certain situations. The problem as I see it is that not all rifleman are capable shots. People are now buying 17's as dedicated fox rifles and they are definitely not built for that. They kill cleanly enough at shorter range but much over 100yds and you are asking for trouble.Wind drift is a big factor with such a light bullet and wounding much more possible. The fox that hangs out at 150 yards plus will tempt most into a shot and herein lies the trouble. People expect it to do what it's not designed for. A fox killer it is. A dedicated fox round it is not. I've killed a good few charlies with the 17 when on the rounds or waiting at known ranges but when out lamping the centrefire goes out everytime. It boils down to commonsense. We owe the fox that at the very least.

Ian
Ian

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30am

Ian
Ian

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:35am

hi, rowwey, you can't rule the calibre out as it has a place i have two such places that fireing a centre fire would be not dangerous but unacceptable so i use the .17 HMR as stated on my certificate for fox it's the best round other than a centre fire and anyone tempted by anything they shoot at over common sense shouldn't hold a license as this could be dangerous they might be tempted at a fox on the sky line with a centre fire how scary is that , alb Ian.

rowey64
rowey64

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:44am

I never ruled it out. What I'm saying is it is not a dedicated fox round.You don't shoot at skyline targets with a rimmy either.

a